Slough Borough Council
Slough Borough Council is unique, just like the town it serves.
Our Futures Programme
We know our vision is ambitious, but we have a programme well underway that will radically change the way we work – how we operate, our tools and our culture in order to provide a sustainable service to our customers into the future.
Like all councils, we have had to respond with agility and flexibility to the Covid-19 pandemic, which has not only confirmed that our programme objectives are future proofed, but has also sped up our progress in a lot of areas. Our Futures will be central to our recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have come a long way, and in the past year we have achieved many things:
- Redesigned our operating model across the council.
- Redesigned our world class leadership structure to support this, with the staff body to follow.
- Progressed our technology offer (website, laptops, phones, Office 365).
- Opened Community Hubs as the heart of the community in Britwell, Langley and Cippenham, with Chalvey to follow.
- Co-located housing, regulatory, customer services and libraries who work as one team to deliver safe, high quality services to customers.
- Empowered Customer Services to resolve more at first point of contact through projects to train, upskill and build closer teams, and thereby freed up office time to deal with more complex cases and help those with greater needs.
- Launched the Brilliant Basics ways of working framework, which was co-designed with the organisation
- Engaged our partners on our 2040 vision for Slough
We have come a long way on our journey already, but still have some way to go in order to become the world class organisation we know we can be. The video above outlines where we have come from, and our vision for the future of Slough.
Our staff and councillors reflect the people we serve. We are proud of our diversity, with strong forums including an employee engagement forum, disability forum, LGBTQ+ and women’s forum. We engage our staff through various networks including a thriving employee engagement forum, led by a director, with input from all departments and from all levels, and Our Futures champions, who reflect the interests of all teams across the council in our programme.
We are currently in the midst of a radical restructure which will ensure that our world class staff are organised in a way that helps them to do the best work they can.
We also work hand in hand with our partners to ensure that we can deliver a #OneSlough approach for our customers. We are working in collaboration with our partners, members and members of the community to develop a joint 2040 vision all can work to achieve.
This 2040 vision was launched through our first virtual conference in July 2020 with our partners. Although meeting virtually for a conference this size was a new idea for most, it couldn't have been more inspiring. It truly showed the strong relationship between partners and Slough Borough Council and our shared commitment to developing Slough as a place of opportunity and ambition through our 2040 vision.
Our Ways of Working
We are passionate about our values, which were co-created by staff and are worn by all: They are proud to be accountable, ambitious, empowering, responsive and innovative.
Through our programme to introduce new technology and our response to Covid-19, we have fully embraced smart working, with opportunities for staff to work from the location that suits them best. For us, work is about what you achieve, not where you do it.
Though, if you wanted to come into the office, you would find us fully kitted out with a bright airy modern office with showers and lockers, innovative collaboration spaces, a tranquillity room, innovation room and even an exercise studio.